High School and SCC Students Can Get a Head Start on Entries for the SCC Student Film Festival
Area high school and SCC students are encouraged to begin working on their entries for the St. Charles Community College Student Film Festival in April 2013. The deadline to submit entries is April 18, 2013, but it’s never too early to get started.
“I really want to get the word out to teachers, too,” said Darren Osburn, film festival coordinator and SCC associate professor of speech and communication. “I’ve heard from many of them that if they had only known about the Film Festival sooner they would have incorporated it into their class and got more students involved.”
Students can submit films for the following categories:
- Documentary (10 min. or less): A presentation that records actual living characters and settings and/or details historical or current events. Infomercials, public relations videos and promotional films are not eligible.
- Comedy Shorts (9 min. or less): Original or minimally inspired works of comedy. The film should challenge, entertain and/or provoke.
- Drama Shorts (9 min. or less): Original or minimally inspired works of drama. The film should challenge, entertain and/or provoke.
- Music Video (5 min. or less): Non-narrative work set to a single piece of music that captures the essence of the sound in a form of a story or creative output. May include minimal footage from other sources.
- Experimental/Animation (6 min. or less): All remaining genres of programs including, but not limited to, animation, experimental, computer graphics, special effects and stop-frame techniques. All footage must be original.
For submission guidelines or to download an entry form, go to stchas.edu/filmfestival. Financial prizes will be awarded to winners of each category, overall winner and the audience favorite. All entries will receive feedback from judges and some screen time during the awards program on April 25, 2013, and the winners will be screened in their entirety.
The awards ceremony will take place from 6-9 p.m. Thursday, April 25, 2013, in the Auditorium of the Daniel J. Conoyer Social Sciences Building on the SCC campus.
For more information, contact Osburn at 636-922-8564 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Charles Community College is a public, comprehensive two-year community college with associate degrees and certificate programs in the arts, business, sciences and career-technical fields. SCC provides workforce training and community-based personal and professional development as well as cultural, recreational and entertainment opportunities. For more information, visit www.stchas.edu.