Rush Limbaugh, the controversial conservative commentator, was enshrined into the Hall of Famous Missourians this week, sparking controversy across the state and country on whether Limbaugh should be worth of such an honor.
Limbaugh's name now sits amongst such famous Missourians as Mark Twain, Dred Scott, Jack Buck and Stan Musial.
According to the St. Louis Beacon, Missouri House Speaker Steve Tilley gave reporters less than a half-hour’s notice of the ceremony.
From the Beacon:
Tilley’s decision to honor Limbaugh, a Cape Girardeau native, has sparked opposition from Democrats and progressives because of Limbaugh’s often strong words when he talks about people with whom he disagrees.
Limbaugh’s bust will be placed in the Capitol’s Hall of Famous Missourians, which also includes newscaster Walter Cronkite and former President Harry S Truman.
Word of Limbaugh’s likely induction first came in March, Fox2 News reports, just as Limbaugh blasted a female law student, who testified before congress in support of a health care mandate requiring insurance coverage for birth control. Limbaugh called her a slut and a prostitute on his radio show. He later apologized.
More from Fox2:
Democrats may have the last laugh. The bust has yet to be displayed in the Hall of Famous Missourians.
“I hope it ends up as a big paper weight on the Speaker’s desk … I have talked to the Governor personally. I know his wife, the First Lady … is very upset about this as well. There have been 35,000+ signatures delivered to the Speaker’s office, protesting this bust,” Jones said.
A spokesman for Governor Nixon, a Democrat, released the following statement:
“The Governor looks forward to working with the Board of Public Buildings and the State Capitol Commission to review the purpose and governance of the Hall of Famous Missourians and to develop a comprehensive strategy regarding where all busts, statues and other monuments are displayed in the Capitol.”
What do you think? Should Rush Limbaugh be honored in the Hall of Famous Missourians? Or is the media making too big a deal of this given the controversy surrounding his name? Weigh in with a comment below.
See More on Patch
- Send Thank You Notes, Encouragement to Boston, Waco-Area Residents, First Responders
- Privacy or Law Enforcement? Release of Concealed Weapon Permit Names
- Volunteers Needed for MoDOT's 'No MOre Trash! Bash' Saturday
- GOP Rift in Missouri: Is It Healthy?
- Movie Reviews: '21 and Over' a Real Clunker; 'Giant Slayer' Nice on the Eyes, But Not Much Else
Most Popular articles
- Police: Man Charged After Exposing Himself to Teen in Library Parking Lot
- Wanted: Naked Man Who Exposed Himself to Teenage Girl at Library
- Burglar Returns to Home With Accomplice, Police Say
- Probation For Woman Who Embezzled $232K From Employer
- Man on Probation for Theft Caught Stealing Computer Two Days Later, Police Say