St. Peters, Rec-Plex Promote 'Let's Move' Campaign
Mayor Len Pagano and the Board of Aldermen agreed to make St. Peters a "Let's Move" city, a designation that means the city encourages activity among the residents.
Earlier this year, the St. Peters Board of Aldermen and Mayor Len Pagano decided to make St. Peters a "Let's Move" city.
The designation is part of a national campaign aimed at improving fitness and keeping people—mostly young people—in shape. Launched by First Lady Michelle Obama, "Let's Move" wants to fight childhood obesity and raise a healthier generation of kids. To help get St. Peters going, the Rec-Plex is offering Family Fitness Classes for families with kids as young as 18 months up to age 14. Parents can join their kids in many of these classes.
“Family Fitness Classes at the St. Peters Rec-Plex give area families a perfect opportunity to take part in a national effort that will make a difference in the lives of our kids and grandkids,” Mayor Pagano said in a press release. “No matter what you do this summer, remember that it’s important for all of us to stay active. I want to challenge everybody—Let’s Move!”
The following four-week Family Fitness Classes start in early July and again in early August:
- Mommy (Or Daddy) & Me: for kids 18 months to 2 years old. This class gets toddlers started early with music and movement, basic gymnastics and other motor skills. Parents are required to accompany their child to this class, which meets on Monday from 11 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. beginning July 11 and Aug. 8.
- Preschoolers Can Exercise: for kids 3 to 4 years. This class uses music, movement and basic gymnastics. The class has an an emphasis on balance and coordination, as well as the skills of working together and sharing. Parents are required to accompany their kids to this class, which meets on Monday from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. beginning July 11 and Aug. 8.
- Exer-Fun: for Ages 5-8. Exer-Fun is led by a physical education teacher who gets kids moving with games and other fun exercises that include the use of a variety of equipment. One parent may also attend the class for an additional fee. Classes meet on Tuesday from 6 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. beginning July 5 and Aug. 2.
- Tumbling: This class helps kids ages 2 to 7 years grow in coordination, balance and flexibility, and teaches new skills that help boost children’s self-confidence. The class will guide kids through beginning skills, a fun-filled obstacle course and individual instruction on cartwheels, headstands, handstands, diving forward rolls and more. Classes are available on Thursday from 9:45 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. beginning July 7 and Aug. 4.
- Yoga For Kids: This class offers a non-threatening exercise option for kids 8 to 14 years. Yoga poses will increase kids’ flexibility and overall strength. Parents are welcome to join the class for an additional fee. Classes meet on Wednesday from 5:30 p.m. to 6:20 p.m. beginning July 6 and Aug. 3.
- Bootcamp For Kids: An activity for kids 8 to 14 years that will change and challenge the body through fun activities that focus on cardiovascular endurance and strength training. Drills include weights, exercise balls and tubes. Workouts will be modified based on needs, so kids of all fitness levels can participate. One parent may attend for an additional fee. Classes meet on Tuesday from 5:15 p.m. to 6 p.m. beginning July 5 and Aug. 2.
All Family Fitness Classes are free to GOLD PLUS members. Rec-Plex annual passholders also receive discounted costs to classes.
To find out more information on the schedule and cost of these classes, take a look at the Leisure Line program guide. Copies of Leisure Line are available at the Rec-Plex and St. Peters City Hall, and available online.
Registration for Rec-Plex classes is available online, in person at the Rec-Plex, 5200 Mexico Road, or by calling 636-939-2386, ext. 1400.