St. Charles County Sheriff Tom Neer said that Richard Heeter, 61, from the Wentzville area, shot at sheriff's deputies in an area near Sommers Road and Hwy. N near the Lake Saint Louis/O'Fallon border.
The deputies returned fire. One deputy was shot in the wrist, and the other was shot in the arm. Heeter escaped and a manhunt of the area continued until he was located just after 5:30 a.m. in the same area as the shootings.
The suspect refused to comply with officers and stabbed a tactical officer in the shoulder. Other officers then shot and killed Heeter.
All three injured officers were taken to hospitals and treated.
See More on Patch
- Week in Review: Red-Light Ordinance Tabled, Man Caught After Home Shooting and More
- 'Second-Generation Meth Cook' Charged With Possessing Chemicals to Make Meth
- Track Monday's School Closings in St. Charles County
- Man Drove From Kansas City to Pick Up 13-Year-Old Girl Who Texted Him Nude Photos
- Mayor and Alderman Salaries: How Does St. Peters Compare?
Most Popular articles
- Man Breaks In to Steal Ex’s Birth Control, Hack Facebook Account, Police Say
- St. Peters Man Indicted On Federal Fraud Charges
- Man on Probation for Theft Caught Stealing Computer Two Days Later, Police Say
- 13 Things to Do in St. Charles County This Weekend
- Man Gets Probation After Burglarizing Stepfather's Home, Ripping Out Video System