Week in Review: Massive Restaurant Fire, Smoking Ban Back in Play and Mom Hits Son With Fire Poker
We know you're busy, so here's a roundup of some of the recent stories featured on the four St. Charles County Patch sites — St. Charles Patch, St. Peters Patch, O'Fallon Patch and Wentzville Patch.
Too busy last week to stay up to date on all the news happening in and around St. Charles County? Not to worry. Patch has your back.
In case you missed them, here were some of the top headlines from the four St. Charles County Patch sites — St. Charles Patch, St. Peters Patch, O'Fallon Patch and Wentzville Patch — over the last few days:
- O’Fallon Police say Timothy McAtee pulled his wife’s hair, slammed her to the floor and held her down so she could not call for help. The victim’s son witnessed the event and called 911.
- A massive fire at Kwan Yin destroyed the Wentzville restaurant. Flames and smoke could be seen around the city. The fire was not deemed suspicious, officials said.
- St. Charles County Council approved placing a smoking ban on the Nov. 6 ballot. County Executive Steve Ehlmann said he planned to sign it. Now it's up to voters.
- Missouri delegates at the GOP Convention in Tampa said the Todd Akin Controversy should be in the past. This came after House Speaker John Boehner rallied Missouri GOP delegates.
- Meanwhile, St. Charles County Republican leaders have declared their support for Congressman Todd Akin while union groups protested outside of Akin's St. Charles office.
- Zach Blakemore, from O'Fallon, suffers from a rare neurological disease that confines him to an electric wheelchair. But his grandparents teamed up to help him race in a triathlon.
- A Lake Saint Louis guardsman was one of the soldiers from a St. Louis-based Missouri National Guard Unit that gathered at Jefferson Barracks to reunite with their families after serving in the Middle East.
- Three men were arrested for the assault of former Timberland football player Montee Ball, who was attacked in the early morning hours of Aug. 1 in Madison, WI.
- A St. Charles mom hit her son with a cast iron fire poker.
- A St. Peters man kicked and punched his mother in front of his grandmother.
- Police are still searching for a man who robbed Lindell Bank on Highway K with an undisclosed amount of money Thursday afternoon.
- The US Bank Robbed in St. Peters was also robbed.
- A new old-fashioned soda fountain shop opened in St. Charles.
- The Fort Zumwalt School District is hoping to educate students and parents about the dangers of heroin use.
- The second phase of Route 364 opened after a ribbon cutting.
- A St. Charles High band director took a job with the St. Louis Symphony.
- An O'Fallon man was charged with robbing a Circle K.
- An O'Fallon police officer, Thomas Kenyon, stopped a violent, out of control man who allegedly assaulted and severely injured a young woman, then attacked him as he arrived on the scene in April. He was recognized by the city council last week. Another O'Fallon police officer was honored last week for quick thinking and action that saved a local baby earlier this summer
- An O'Fallon man choked his pregnant wife in front of his children, police said.
- 2nd Street Bike Stop Cafe in St. Charles is considering a move to Main Street.
- A BMX challenge event is coming to St. Peters in September.