Contractors have been busy since the April 28 hailstorm making repairs due to the storm while undertaking other home remodeling and repairs. Some delays were inevitable, but at least one local contractor has angered customers by failing to finish jobs after receiving payment.
At least 16 consumers from across the St. Louis area have filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) about Lloyd J. Taylor, who has used the names A One Tuckpointing, A-1 Tuckpointing or We Do Tuckpointing. Complaints have come from consumers in St. Peters, Pasadena Hills, Bellefontaine Neighbors and St. Louis, as well as other municipalities.
Many of the consumers paid Taylor for most or all of the work. Some have lost thousands of dollars to Taylor and have had to pay someone else to finish the work. Details of their losses are in today’s BBB press release.
The BBB advises consumers against paying the entire amount for a job in advance. Holding back a significant portion of the money gives the contractor an incentive to finish the job to your satisfaction.
Other tips on hiring contractors:
- Don’t make a hasty decision. Take time to ensure the business is local and has a track record of reliable workmanship. Visit www.bbb.org or call 314-645-3300 for a BBB Business Review, which includes the company’s BBB rating (A+ plus to F) along with the complaint history and company contact information.
- Ask the company for references and call those property owners. Ask them if the jobs were performed as agreed upon and whether they were satisfied with the results.
- Ask whether the contractor has all required licenses and insurance. Ask your city whether they have experience with the business.
- Ask for a written contract and read it to ensure that everything discussed is included. Make sure it includes all details of the job as well as when and how payments are to be made.
- Do not make all payments in advance. Suggest a payment plan that would include a third of the money in advance, a third once work is underway and the final third when work is completed to your satisfaction.